Friday, April 20, 2012

Life is a gift from God.

We go to church with a couple who are also expecting a baby, one day away from our due date.  She and I are both 25 weeks pregnant right now.  Sadly, their sweet baby girl's heart is growing too fast for her body, so her lungs do not have enough room to grow and develop.  This is very dangerous and if they don't take her early the baby may not survive.  However, if they do take the baby early she doesn't have a very high change of survival either.  So they are injecting the baby's lungs with steroids to try to get them to grow in the next couple of days before they deliver.  My heart is in angst, as I look down at my belly, and think about my mommy-friend who is walking out this trial.  I don't understand why we have a healthy growing baby, while this precious baby is fighting for her life.  We know and love the same God... He is the Creator of both of these babies.  I know that He hears both of our prayers!  It seems that the longer I know God, the MORE I discover that there is to know about God... But while I don't always understand His ways, I completely believe and trust that HE IS STILL IN CONTROL!  His faithfulness does not escape one moment of our lives.

Father God, please perform a miracle in this baby girl.  May the story of her life be a living testimony to the name and power of Jesus... Raise her body up in health and strength... Work behind the scenes (beyond the understanding and comprehension of our human minds) to bring about a beautiful story of grace and beauty in the midst of all this confusion and grief.  I ask for a comfort to wash over these precious parents and for their marriage to be bound with a unity that most couples will never come close to experiencing in a lifetime.  Bring about GOOD from all of this, Jesus.  Your Word promises this (Romans 8:28).  In Your name, Amen.

Meanwhile, I stand amazed (and with a sobered perspective) at the life that God has graciously blessed my husband and I with in our son, Gideon Luke... as well as the life that is growing inside my belly.  There is no greater gift than LIFE.  I will seek to live in the fear and wonder of this gift.  And for all the unanswered questions, I trust that no matter what happens, God's heart for us is always good!  His plans for us are always perfect.  His desire for us, above all else, is for us to draw close to Him in the midst of all that He gives... AND all that He takes away.  His grace is enough to sustain our hearts, no matter what happens.  Our lives are in His hands.   

No comments:

Post a Comment